There are Currently No Fire Restriction in Hinsdale County
Stage 1 Fire Restriction:
The FOLLOWING ARE PROHIBITED:
1. FIRES, CAMPFIRES, OR STOVE FIRES, including, but not limited to, CHARCOAL
GRILLS, hibachis, and coal or wood-burning stoves.
CAMPFIRE/STOVE Exceptions allowed:
• Campfires in Forest Service-provided, manufactured fire grates and grills
within Forest Service developed campgrounds and picnic grounds.
• Petroleum fueled stoves or lanterns that use gas, jellied petroleum, or
pressurized liquid fuel.
• Fully enclosed (sheepherder type) stove with a 1⁄4” spark arrester type screen.
2. SMOKING, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, or in a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least 3 (three) feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
3. CHAINSAWS without a USDA Forest Service or SAE approved spark arrester. Operators must be in possession of a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher with a minimum rating of 2A and a round-pointed shovel with an overall length of at least 35 inches.
4. WELDING or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame, except in cleared areas of at least 10 feet in diameter and in possession of a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher with a minimum rating of 2A.
5. EXPLOSIVES, including fireworks, tracer bullets, and exploding targets.
Stage 2 Fire Restriction:
The FOLLOWING ARE PROHIBITED:
1. Building, maintaining, attending or using an OPEN FLAME, including fire, campfire, stove fire, charcoal grills and barbecues, coal and wood burning stoves, and devices (stoves, grills or lanterns) using liquid fuel such as white gas or kerosene. This prohibition applies to the entire San Juan National Forest, including Wilderness and developed camping and picnic grounds.
Except: Devices (stoves, grills or lanterns) using pressurized gas canisters (isobutene or propane) that include shut-off valves, or within an enclosed vehicle, trailer, or building.
Except: Within an enclosed vehicle, trailer or building.
3. WELDING or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
4. Operating or using any INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE (e.g. chainsaw, generator, ATV) without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained and in effective working order meeting USDA Forest Service or SAE approval.
5. Operating a CHAINSAW without an approved spark arresting device, a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher (8 oz. capacity by weight or larger and kept with the operator) and a round point shovel with an overall length of at least 35 inches readily available for use, or outside of the “Hoot Owl” restricted hours of 5am – 1pm.
6. Using an EXPLOSIVE. This includes but is not limited to fuses or blasting caps, fireworks, rockets, exploding targets, and tracers or incendiary ammunition.
7. Discharging a FIREARM, air rifle, or gas gun
8. Possessing or using a MOTOR VEHICLE OFF ESTABLISHED ROADS, motorized trails or established parking areas, except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the vehicle.
Federal, state, and local officers and persons with a valid Forest Service permit or contract may be exempt from these prohibitions.
For more information, please contact the San Juan National Forest at 970-247-4874 or refer to: The San Juan National Forest USDA website.